– Distracted driving— Smartphones with apps like Facebook as well as texting are some of the bigger culprits in distracting drivers. Many believe this alone is the biggest factor in more fatalities.
– Improved economy— People are traveling more both for work and pleasure which means more people on the road.
– Higher Speed Limits— Many states have increased speed limits over the year which can contribute to higher accident rates.
– Drunken Driving— Despite stiffer penalties, this continues to be a problem and accounts for one-third of all traffic fatalities.
– Seat Belt Use—Over half of all traffic fatalities continue to be caused by people not buckling up. Only 18 states have laws requiring the use of seat belts for both front and back seat passengers and in 15 states, it’s a secondary violation. A driver has to be pulled over for another infraction to be given a ticket for this.